Now that summer’s almost here, more and more people will be headed out on vacation. And while heading to a beach or a big city is a typical summer vacation destination, there’s no doubt some people like to experience something a little more unique during their time of.
Well, several cities across the country hold festivals in the summer months, and we’re not talking Coachella or Lollapalooza. There are a whole host of unique festivals taking place between May and September, and Motel 6 has just come out with a list of the Six Quirkiest Summer Festivals of 2017.
The quirky fests include:
- Mule Days Celebration, Bishop, California, May 23rd – May 28th – The annual equestrian festival attracts more than 30,000 fans from around the world. The fest is a cross between a mule competition and a Wild West show, and features more than a dozen shows with over 700 mules, as well as a live country concert, barbecues and more.
- Watermelon Thump, Luling, Texas, June 22nd – June 25th – About 25,000 visitors help pay tribute to the iconic summer fruit and its local growers, with the fest featruing watermelon seed-spitting competitions, watermelon eating contests, a giant parade, a queen's coronation, and more.
- WestFest, Chicago, Illinois, July 7th – July 9th – Each year Chicago’s West Town celebrates its hip local talent and businesses. In addition to unique local offerings and entertainment, the fest also features WestFest’s Kid Fest, featuring activities for the youngsters, as well as WestFest’s Pet Fest, a dog-friendly spot with pet-related vendors and more.
- Colorado Dragon Boat Festival, Wheat Ridge, Colorado, July 29th– July 30th – The annual event is considered the largest Dragon Boat Festival in the country, featuring a lake race with more than 50 colorful dragon boat teams. The fest also incldes live performances, an Asian marketplace, and even a spicy ramen eating contest.
- Twins Days, Twinsburg, Ohio, August 4th – August 6th – Considered the largest gathering of twins and other multiple in the world, each year hundreds of twins, triplets, quads and more descend on Twinsburg, for a fun festival featuring costume contests, live entertainment, talent shows and more.
- Wisconsin State Cow Chip Throw & Festival, Prairie Du Sac, Wisconsin, September 1st – September 2nd – Each year more than 40,000 people head to this fest to try and beat the 248-foot record for the longest cow chip throw. The fest also features live entertainment, arts and crafts, food, and a 5K and 10K run.
Source: Yahoo Finance