We asked the BuzzFeed Community to share random food facts that totally blew their mind. Here are the "OMG, WHAT?!" results.
1. Mountain Dew is mainly just orange juice.
PepsiCo / Via pepsicobeveragefacts.com
2. Pringles once had a lawsuit trying to prove that they weren’t really potato chips.
Discovery Channel / Via giphy.com
3. When you eat figs, technically, you're also eating wasps.
Merc67 / Getty Images
Figs are pollinated by female wasps, who lose their wings in the process of pollination. The wasp has no way to get out of the fig and so they die inside, and then the fig's enzymes breakdown and dissolve the wasp.
4. Scientists can turn peanut butter into diamonds.
Crystal Ro / BuzzFeed / Getty
5. The largest wholesale purchaser of kale, before it became a craze, was Pizza Hut.
Pizza Hut / Via youtube.com
I heard this on NPR not too long ago: Prior to the big kale craze of today, the largest wholesale purchaser of kale in the 1990s in the US was Pizza Hut since they would garnish all their buffet tables with the leafy green plant.
6. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kohlrabi all come from the same plant!
Karaidel / Getty Images
7. Cheez-Its contain paprika!
Crystal Ro / BuzzFeed / Kellogg Company / Via cheezit.com
It seems like a small, insignificant detail and yet it blows my mind on a regular basis.
8. The bananas we eat today are clones.
Glasslanguage / Getty Images
9. Chimichanga literally means "thingamajig" in Spanish.
Gmnicholas / Getty Images
10. Tomatoes are not native to Italy.
20th Century Fox / Via lejazzhot.tumblr.com
11. Potatoes are actually 80% water and 20% solid.
Heikerau / Getty Images
12. Haribo green gummy bears aren't lime or green apple flavored, but strawberry!
Fodor90 / Getty Images
13. Humans share 60% of our DNA with bananas.
Shotbydave / Getty Images
14. Shredded cheese has cellulose, which is a wood product (aka sawdust) so that it doesn't stick together.
Bwfolsom / Getty Images
15. Pineapple juice can help tenderize meat (thank you, Food Wars!).
16. Strawberries aren't berries, but bananas are!
Mariuszblach / Getty Images
17. There are two types of hot dog buns: regular and New England style.
Crystal Ro / BuzzFeed / Getty
Real shocker for people from New England.
18. Mangoes can get sunburned.
Dr Pepper Snapple Group / Via youtube.com
19. Eating lollipops is just swallowing flavored saliva.
Polydor / Via youtube.com
20. Apples have small traces of cyanide in their seeds!!!
Disney / Via disneyscreencaps.com
21. I recently found out that Fritos only have three ingredients: corn, corn oil, and salt?!
Crystal Ro / BuzzFeed / Getty / Frito-Lay, Inc. / Via fritolay.com
22. Almonds are a member of the peach family!
Chrisboswell / Getty Images
23. Baby carrots are just regular carrots that have been shaved down to the bite-size pieces we see bagged in stores.
24. Ice cream sometimes contains a form of seaweed in it (as a thickening agent) called red algae.
Aksenovko / indigojt / Getty
25. Altitude can change taste.
Jannoon028 / Getty Images
Tomato juice on an airplane = super sweet!
26. An ear of corn used to be way smaller than it currently is.
Bhofack2 / Getty Images
Like, it could fit in the palm of your hand.
27. Hawaiian pizza was invented in...CANADA.
Crystal Ro / BuzzFeed / GANCINO / Getty
The Hawaiian pizza, that has sent the world into a craze about pineapples going on pizza, was invented in my little town, the town that literally nothing ever happens in — Chatham, Ontario.