Many good things come with the holiday season, but one particular bad thing that we all have to put up with every year: making conversation. After all, we’ve ALL got ‘that’ family member (or members) we don’t agree with on just about anything. Looking to keep it light and lovely this holiday weekend? Ditch the conversations about politics, the world, and what you’re going to be doing with your life. Try some of these conversation starters instead:
- Travel - Talk about where your next vacation will be or where you’d like to be able to go next .
- The Beatles - Everyone can talk about The Beatles. Ask about favorite albums, songs, etc. It IS the 50th anniversary of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band!”
- Thanksgiving food - Talk about how good the food is and how you made the dish you contributed.
- The winter Olympics - It’s coming, folks!! What are your favorite winter sports?
- Wellness - Talk about checking in with yourself and what you do to unwind.
- Pets - Anyone with a furry friend definitely has pictures on their phones of their furry friend. Ask about it!
- Books - See if anyone has any good book recommendations that they’ve delved into recently!
- Hobbies - What have you been doing to take up your free time?
- Upcoming holidays - It’s only Thanksgiving, which means there are plenty more holidays where that came from! Talk about your Christmas and New Year’s plans and think about what you might give as your best gift yet.
Talking to family during the holidays can be pretty painful, but it doesn’t have to be! Have a bunch of conversation starters in your back pocket so you don’t end up in a tornado of bad politics!
Source: Huffington Post