If you’re in the dating world today, there’s a whole new vocabulary of terms to describe what could be happening with your partner and you might not have a clue what some of them mean. So here’s a guide to all the dating slang you need to know in 2018.
- Caspering - It’s a form of ghosting, but it’s the friendlier kind. It’s when the person hasn’t asked you out again, but usually replies nicely to your texts.
- Catch and Release - When someone has been pursuing you and when they finally “catch” you and you agree to a date, they lose interest and move on to a new target.
- Cushioning - This is when you keep flirting with a few “cushions” - a.k.a. your other prospects on standby in case your current relationship doesn’t work out and you need someone to cushion the fall.
- Daterview - A date that doesn’t give you butterflies so much as makes you feel like you should’ve brought your résumé because of all the questions about school, work, and your family.
- Dicksand - This is that powerful force that can cause a woman to lose all sight of her own identity and get so involved with her current love interest that she practically disappears from her friends.
- Lovebombing - When someone gives over-the-top affection and presents at the start of a new relationship, but in a shady way - to establish long-term control over you.
- Matrimania - Excessive enthusiasm for weddings and marriage that can annoy your single friends if you’re the bride and scare off dates if you’re trying to find The One.
- Monkeying - Swinging from one relationship to the next without slowing down in between, like a monkey swinging from tree branch to tree branch.
- Nonversation - Boring small talk with a dating app match that doesn’t really go anywhere or excite either person.
- Peacocking - Can refer to a guy doing something nice to impress you or dressing up to get attention, like a peacock showing off his feathers.
- Subbing - Short for subtweeting, it’s indirectly referencing a love interest in a tweet, FB post, or Instagram caption without ever mentioning their name.
- Zombieing - When someone tries to get back into their ex’s life after ghosting them previously and it usually starts with a random “Heyy” text.