Barron County has issued a press release regarding cleanup efforts rolling the storm and tornado Tuesday, May 16. If you are planning on volunteering or need help with cleanup, please read the following press release:
Barron County severe weather event relief guidance
Barron County authorities would like to thank the community for the overwhelming support, generosity, and offers to help with the aftermath of the recent severe weather event. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
Resources for Those Affected
- Please call 211 to report storm-related property damage or unmet needs.
A Multi Agency Resource Center (MARC) will be available to those affected by the storms at Mosaic Telecom, 401 S 1st Street, Cameron. The MARC will be open Friday May 19, 2017 from 1pm – 8pm and on Saturday May 20, 2017 9am – 4pm. The MARC will provide a single place for people to access community resources.
Mosaic Telecom Shelter has resources such as meals, shelter, Goodwill vouchers, and emotional support. Shelter is located at 401 S. 1st Street, Cameron, WI.
The Donation Center will be open to storm affected residents on Monday, May 22, 2017 at 9am at Mosaic Telecomm in Cameron, 401 S. 1st Street, Cameron, WI.
Debris Clean Up
- Tree limbs, logs, and stumpage may be dropped off at the City of Chetek brush site. The debris MUST be sorted into limbs, stumpage and logs. The brush site is located at 1460 Hochmayr Drive, Chetek, Wisconsin 54728. This site will be open for drop-off between 11 am and 7 pm daily. Do not bring building debris to this site.
- Please bring other debris to Barron County Waste to Energy, 575 10 1⁄2 Avenue, Almena WI, disposal will be free from 5am-8pm Friday (5/19), Saturday (5/20), Sunday (5/21), and Monday (5/22). Beginning Tuesday fee schedule will resume.
- All electronic waste and appliances can be dropped off at the Chetek Public Works Building, 1125 Railroad Avenue, Chetek, WI
- Beginning Friday (5/19) morning, people can also bring debris to dumpster sites (they will be available for public use until they are full):
- R-Bar: 1190 25th Street, Cameron, WI 54822
- Lakewood Park Boat Landing: 2264 11 1⁄2 Ave, Chetek, WI 54728
Monetary Donations will be accepted at any of the Mosaic Telecom locations (Chetek, Cameron, Barron, Rice Lake). Checks should be made out “Mosaic Telecom” and include “Disaster Relief Barron County Event” in the check memo line.
Durable goods donations are not being accepted at this time. We anticipate accepting donations beginning Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9am once the needs of community members have been identified. A list of needs identified by those impacted by the storm will be shared once available.
Volunteers will be accepted from 8am to 5pm on Friday (5/19), Saturday (5/20), and Sunday (5/21). Those interested can volunteer for all or part of these time shift as your schedule allows.
To volunteer, please report to the Volunteer Reception Center (VRC). The VRC is set up at St. Peter’s Catholic Church, 1618 20th Street, Cameron. This is located at the intersection of Highways 8 and 53.
Please note that volunteers will need to be processed at the VRC before beginning shifts. Please expect long lines and allow for extended wait periods. Volunteers for onsite clean-up efforts must be over 18 years of age. Please bring one valid form of identification. All volunteers MUST wear closed toe shoes, long pants, long sleeve shirts, work gloves, bug/tick spray and bring water.
You may also call 211 if you would like to volunteer or share resources. By working together, we can best help our neighbors in need. Thank you for all of the offers of hope, donations, and prayers. We would like to offer a special thank you to Mosaic Telecom for their continued efforts to support our community during this difficult time.
From the Chetek Alert
Volunteer with the American Red Cross in clean up efforts. Find out more here.