Black Friday was the pinnacle of bargain shopping for decades, but in the last few years, Cyber Monday has become the biggest shopping event in the country. So when it comes to discounts, which is the better day to shop? The short answer is that Cyber Monday has better deals overall, but it’s close and it depends on a few factors.
According to research from Honey, the coupon-and discount-shopping browser extension, last year’s Cyber Monday average savings (per user, per purchase) topped at 21%, while Black Friday savings reached 18.5%. But that’s for online shopping and different products get better discounts each day, so you really have to wait to see what stores are offering when they release their Black Friday and Cyber Monday ads.
Until then, these rules of thumb can help:
- Shop Black Friday for expensive products and big ticket items for your own household, like TVs and appliances.
- Shop Cyber Monday for gadgets and things you’re buying as a gift, including newer technologies.
- Cyber Monday is a good time to shop eBay, where people will already be reselling things they just bought on Black Friday.
- Amazon has better deals on Cyber Monday, as long as you’re a Prime member.
- Black Friday has cheaper prices on this year’s products, Cyber Monday for older generations.
- Shop Black Friday if you’re shopping in a store.