Are "dumb" phones the new smartphones?
While Apple made headlines releasing its most expensive iPhone yet, there is a growing movement of phone users looking to buck the smartphone bells-and-whistles, and go dumb.
While old timey flip-phones scratch the retro itch for some, the popularity of a new breed of sleek phones are heating up, and they do little more than make calls. Imagine that.
One of these is The Light Phone: a slim device that has light up buttons, an on-off-switch, and, well, that's it. Oh, it comes in two equally basic color options: white or black. That being said, it was a smash on Kickstarter, and has thousands of pre-orders stacked up: it will be available in February of 2018, for a very non-iPhone price of $125.
The Light Phone doesn't let you text. "We are thoughtfully limiting our technology, 'going light', so that we can reconnect in meaningful ways with the world around us," the website's FAQ notes.
However, for those who just want to call but have the option to text, there's the Punkt, a $295 phone that looks like a calculator -- hey, remember those!? It has round, clicky buttons that let you call people, and text the old school way. And by "old school" we mean circa 2003.
Polish Government Wants Its People To Procreate
Poland's population isn't exactly booming. In fact, they have the second lowest fertility rate in Europe, bested only by Portugal. So how is the government dealing with the low birth rate? By asking its citizens "to act more like rabbits." Yes, really.
The Health Ministry has released a video featuring a rabbit "narrator" explaining to Polish people that their big families are due to exercise, a healthy diet and little stress. Plus, you know, procreating in general.
According to the ministry, the video is meant to encourage Poles to adopt a healthy lifestyle that would improve their reproductive health without being "vulgar."
Source: Associated Press
Get Ready For “Harry Potter: Wizards Unite”-If you thought Pokemon Go was fun, get ready to delve deep into a wizard’s world.
Nantic Labs, the company behind "Pokemon Go," is releasing "Harry Potter: Wizards Unite," a game that will reportedly allow users to cast spells and fight beasts in their neighborhoods and surrounding areas. Nantic Labs said the game, created in partnership with Warner Brothers, will give people the opportunity to become "real-life wizards."
There’s no release date yet.Source: Business Insider
Sorry? There’s An App For That!-Former news anchor Greta Van Susteren is coming out with a new app.
Van Susteren said on Facebook that her new app is called "Sorry," and it lets people send apologies to each other. She said users of the app will get to accept or reject apologies privately from a friend, or from public figures that everyone will get to vote on. The app will be available for free in the App Store on November 14th. Source: Variety
Veteran’s Day Food Deals And Discounts
This weekend is Veteran’s Day, Saturday (November 11th) is the actual holiday, but it’s being observed tomorrow - which means there are Veteran’s Day discounts, deals, and freebies being offered at your favorite restaurants on both days. There are so many, we can’t mention them all, but here are some highlights:Friday, November 10, 2017
- Chicken Salad Chick - Veterans who show proof of service get a free Chick Meal and a drink
- Denny's - From 5 a.m to noon, all active, inactive, and retired military personnel will get a free Build Your Own Grand Slam breakfast, at participating locations.
- IHOP - All active duty and retired vets can get free Red, White, and Blue Pancakes this Friday.
Saturday November 11, 2017
- Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza - A free small order of meatballs with ricotta cheese for former or active military personnel.
- Applebee’s - Veterans and active duty military can choose a free meal from a limited menu, proof of service is required.
- Bar Louie - Free flatbread for vets and active military this Saturday.
- Bob Evans - They’re giving vets and active military a free item from a limited menu.
- Boston Market - Use this coupon to get a BOGO individual meal and drink.
- Buffalo Wild Wings - Vets and active military who dine-on get a free small order of traditional or boneless wings and a side of fries, all day long this Saturday.
- California Pizza Kitchen - Vets and active military personnel can choose a free entree from a special Veteran’s Day menu, bring proof of service or come in uniform to get the deal.
- Dunkin’ Donuts - Free donut for veterans and active duty military this Saturday.
- Hooters - Veterans and current servicemen and women who present proof of service can get a free meal from their special Veteran’s Day menu.
- Little Caesars Pizza - From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, they’re giving veterans and active military members a free HOT-N-READY Lunch Combo.
- Macaroni Grill - All veterans and active duty military get a free Mom’s Ricotta Meatballs and Spaghetti entree on Saturday.
- Outback Steakhouse - Active, retired military, and veterans will get a free Bloomin’ Onion and a drink this Veteran’s Day, with valid ID.
- Texas Roadhouse - They’re offering a free special veteran’s lunch menu, which includes a beverage and sides.
- Village Inn - Free Inn-Credible V.I.B. breakfast for all who have served.
Friday AND Saturday November 10-11, 2017
- BJ’s Restaurant - All veterans and active military members will get a complimentary entree (less than $12.95), they just need to show military ID to get the offer.
- Fazoli’s - Free spaghetti with marinara or meat sauce for all active, inactive and retired military personnel this Friday and Saturday.
- Spaghetti Warehouse - Get the buy one entree, get one free coupon from their website to get a BOGO deal this Friday through Sunday.
Check out the entire list here.
Source: Military Benefits